UH-HUH

Growing up, one of my favorite movies was "Little Rascals". You remember, Alfalfa, Spanky, Darla, Buckwheat & Porky, you are so beautiful, he-man womun haters & so on.

One of my favorite characters from this movie was Uh Huh. This kids response to EVERYTHING was "uh-huh" (hence the incredibly clever moniker).

For some reason as I was driving home from a New Years Day dinner at my grandma's, I started thinking about Uh Huh. Near the end of the movie there is a surprise scene when Uh Huh breaks character and says:

Actually, I've always had a rather extensive vocabulary, not to mention a phenomenal grasp of grammar and a superlative command of syntax. I simply chose not to employ them.

Whoa! What? Wait a minute. Not what you expect from a kid who only says, uh-huh.

As I thought about this movie, the character of Uh Huh, and the surprise at the end of the movie, Holy Spirit began to teach me something through these thoughts of a favorite childhood movie.

Often time we think we need to do something great or special for God. As if our actions actually get his attention or cause Him to love us more. Can we actually earn something that was freely given?

God is not interested in our extensive vocabulary or our abilities in the grammar & syntax departments >>>>> works.

He wants us to live lives that agree (uh huh) with Who He is & who He has called us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment