Being A Better Daddy




In my last post, I discussed a resolution I made to be a better husband. You can read that post HERE.

To catch you up, that post was 1 of 2 written in reflection on a goal I set at the beginning of the year to be the best husband and daddy that I could be.

As I prayed about this, it was a powerful time with the Lord. I felt His presence and heard Him speaking to my spirit very clearly.

Holy Spirit reminded me, "You cannot be a good daddy unless you are a good child".

I guess my pride got poked a little because I wanted to argue with God. I protested, "God, I'm not a baby. I'm a grown man God. How can I be a child?" As I was driving and praying I was reminded of this:

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God —
John 1:12


You see, as Christians, we have a Heavenly Father. Regardless of what kind of parents we have on earth, we have a father in Heaven who loves us perfectly. He rejoices with us in our moments of triumph and comforts us in our most desperate times.

I don't really see myself as a bad dad. Actually, I think I'm pretty good. My little boy is my pride and joy and my love for him cannot be put into words.

The Bible says that if we do good for our children (as jacked up as we are), how much more does our Father do good for us by giving us His spirit(check out Luke 11 for more on this.

Whether you are a great daddy or you have a lot of work to do, if we strive to follow the example our Heavenly Daddy sets for us, it can only help us be better.

Daddy's, our job description is simple, but it is not easy. We are to love our children in a way that reflects to them how loved they are by our Heavenly Father.

Following that example is not easy. We must invest our lives as we seek His face (Psalm 27:8), and follow His example. Our children should see us pray. They should see us spending time in our Bibles. They should know their daddy's love is an expression of love poured out from God.

It may not be easy. I can assure you that it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment